Archive for the ‘bags’ Category

Brea Bag WIP #1

From the pattern from Berroco. The pattern is easy to follow. I’m actually quite happy that I managed to knit something like this! The pattern calls for double stranded alpaca yarn but I opted for a sheeny and sturdy acrylic (Vanna’s Choice). I figure there’s less chance of pilling, and the color choices aren’t bad.

Brea Bag WIP


Read Full Post »

Finally, an FO! Well, almost–I haven’t lined it yet, and I may (gasp!) sew in my first zipper. But I was so happy to finish a project, I couldn’t wait to post.

Big Fat Bottom Bag

I got the idea after seeing Emiko Hime’s post on Craftster for a Fat Bottom Bag she had made with super thick yarn. I’d been hankering for a big hobo bag. For this, I used two skeins of Lion Chenille Thick n’ Quick with an O size hook. Yuck, I hate crocheting with chenille, but this was worth it.

Modifications from Stitch ‘n’ Bitch: The Happy Hooker pattern: About half as many of the center rows on the body, and only two rows of border finishing at the row ends to gather in the top of the bag. Then I chained about the strap length I wanted, then did 4 rows of single crochet. Sew the side edges of the bag together, and the strap to the bag, and presto! A big hobo bag.

Read Full Post »

I actually finished the body of the bag, but my partner took the camera today so I have to make do with the latest WIP photo:


The edge cable forms the top of the bag which is now about 9.5″ high and 11″ in length. Love the look of cables, hate making them. I accidentally switched from cabling every 8 rows to every 6 rows early on, and had to stick with it.

The pattern includes a short cabled handle, but I want a longer strap and the 6-stitch cable is too big in this superbulky yarn. The I-cord that made with a Clover spool knitter is too thin. I’m working on a mini-cable right now, but if you have suggestions, let me know.

Babette Update:

Preety Crafty asked for an update. In addition to the Lion Woolease and a few balls of Plymouth Encore, I’m still assembling yarn; got some Superwash from Knit Picks. Red Pepper is a nice red, not obnoxious. Coast Gray and the Bare Superwash are going to be dyed.

I tested a couple of squares to work out hook sizes, and realized … the yarn cost is going to skyrocket. Duh, switching from fingering to worsted weight yarn= twice the square footage=much more yardage! Boy, am I glad I’m using mostly Woolease.

Read Full Post »